Job Opportunity in Justice
Justice of the Peace (Bilingual)
Friday 18th May 2012 06:24
Department of Environment, Labour & Justice is seeking a Justice of the Peace.
(FULL-TIME TEMPORARY POSITION)
DESCRIPTION: (Commencing immediately until March 31, 2013)
OPEN TO THE PUBLIC
* Note: These three positions are to be filled in accordance with a Federal agreement for funding until March 31, 2013 with the possibility of renewal. The purpose of these positions is to provide bilingual clerical and Justice of the Peace duties in the Provincial Court of PEI. Under the direction of the Chief Provincial Court Clerk, the incumbent will perform the following duties:
- acting as a bilingual Justice of the Peace for the purposes of taking pleas on summary conviction matters;
- acting as bilingual court stenographer for trials and other court hearings;
- performing Justice of the Peace duties regarding the authorization of search warrants, etc.;
- preparing and issuing court documents and correspondence in both official languages;
- handling exhibits and ensuring continuity of same;
- balancing cash and preparing bank deposits;
- performing general ledger accounting;
- dealing with the public, legal profession and officers in both official languages;
- providing general clerical duties as required;
- providing assistance to the public in relation to pardons;
- acting as Commissioner for Taking Oaths and Affidavits;
- acting as Deputy Sheriff for the purposes of fine collection;
- other duties as required.
- Applicants must have Grade 12 as well as a related post secondary education which might include a Business Management, Office Studies, or Legal Secretarial program.
- Must have considerable experience performing a variety of complex tasks in a court setting.
- Applicant must have demonstrated ability to make complex decisions.
- Due to the nature of this positions, the applicants must have a demonstrated ability to multi task.
- Must be able to provide service in both French and English and will be required to pass an oral proficiency evaluation prior to hiring.
- The incumbent must be willing to take Court Stenographer testing within six months of hire.
Applicants are expected to complete the full length of this assignment unless appointed to a permanent position.
Note: Please ensure the application clearly demonstrates how you meet the noted qualifications as applicants will be screened based on the information provided. We would like to thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those who are selected for an interview will be contacted.
Bi-weekly Hours: 75.0 hours bi-weekly
DEPARTMENT: Environment, Labour and Justice
SALARY RANGE: $20.71 - $24.71 per hour (Level 12)
COMPETITION NUMBER: 113232-0512ELTO
CLOSING DATE: 5/28/2012
If you have registered with JobsPEI (and your online resume is up to date) you can click on the link below to immediately apply online for this job:
If you have not registered with JobsPEI, you can do so now by clicking on the following link:
For additional information and downloadable application form, see the Prince Edward Island Internet Information Centre's jobs pages at: