Community Legal Information Association of Prince Edward Island (CLIA PEI) - Legal Information for Youth


Am I old enough?


Am I old enough?

More Information

For more information on education policies, check out the Department of Education:

Visit the office:

...or call:

Kids Help Phone

You can leave school after you turn 16. This is a serious decision and it may be in your best interest to complete grade 12. Employers usually require that you have a high school diploma. Colleges and universities usually require grade 12, unless you apply as a mature student.

If you are between 7 and 16, you must go to school unless you have already graduated from high school or have been excused because of an illness or other cause.

If you are between 6 and 20, you have the right to go to public school free of charge.

If you are under 16, you cannot go to a private training course during regular school hours. If the course is during off-school hours, you may attend.


The Department of Education of PEI does not provide credits or graduation certificates to students who have been home-schooled. Post-secondary institutions and employers determine whether the student’s documentation meets their requirements for admission or for employment.

If you return to the public school system after being home-schooled, the School Board will determine at what grade level you will be placed. You can take courses offered by a school board while being home-schooled.